Responsible for applying technical drafting skills to perform a variety of drafting duties in connection with the development and preparation of architectural plans for the construction of new buildings or renovations of existing buildings. The Architectural Technician will use knowledge of standardized building techniques and CAD systems to draw architectural and structural features of commercial and residential buildings. Architectural technicians are construction drafters that make sure that both the designs of general architects and the calculations of building engineers are combined into an effective building guideline. Since the guideline is often a visual blueprint of these ideas, the technician is responsible for including technical data, such as material lengths, amounts, and weights within a completed design.
- Requires an associate’s degree in architectural design and a minimum of 3 years’ experience preparing architectural drawings.
- Complete knowledge of work performed by all construction trades.
- Ability to perform structural analysis for design and estimating purposes.
- Knowledge of the International Building Code, commercial and residential state codes, uniform dwelling code, and local stipulation codes.
- Proficient in the use of computerized drafting software; both Revit and AutoCAD experience are required. Skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access). Ability to learn new graphic software to compliment the presentation of CAD designs.
- Strong math skills and the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Strong communication and organizational skills required, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; analyze problems, propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.